Praise the Lord! Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His faithful love endures forever. Psalm 106:1 (NLT)
It’s Thanksgiving-eve and whether it’s a travel day or you are getting ready for tomorrow’s celebration, you will probably be busy. In the hustle of today there may be some reasons that you’ll lose sight of being thankful. Here are a few possibilities:
• You need to drive the family 100 miles to get to your Thanksgiving celebration and there is a 10 mile back-up of stop and go traffic.
• The turkey is thawing in the kitchen (or so you thought) and you find your dog gnawing on a drumsticks in the living room.
• You are hosting a dozen people tomorrow for dinner, and all of your kids have just come down with an explosive intestinal virus.
Whatever your day-before-Thanksgiving brings, you and I both know that there is always reason to give thanks, whatever your circumstances. Regardless of what is happening around you… God is good.
God’s goodness is always on display, but here are 3 reasons I find myself thankful today:
1) God is good because He gives us free gifts. The gifts from God are amazing! Ephesians 2:4-5, “But God is so rich in mercy, He loved us so much, that He gave us back our lives again when He raised Christ from the dead. Only by His undeserved favor have we been saved.”
Do we deserve God’s kindness? No. Do we deserve His mercy? No. Do we deserve His forgiveness? No. His free gifts are a reason to be thankful daily!
2) God is good because His love is unconditionally. God loves me not for what I’ve done but for who I am. God’s love isn’t based on my job, my performance, my income, the quality of my ministry, etc…. God’s love for me isn’t conditional and there’s nothing I can do to earn His love. This is a reason to be thankful!
3) God is good because he offers us[real and eternal] life. In the midst of all of the craziness happening in the world, we can be thankful that God wants our future to include eternity with Him! He offers us life to the full—here and now (see John 10:10,) and in heaven. Many of the people I know hang on to the eternity-part and don’t live the “now” part. Life is offered to us NOW. We don’t have to wait to live because Christ in us is the hope of glory (Col. 1:27) This is a reason to be thankful and dance!
God is good! So, what are you waiting for? Thanksgiving Day? There’s no need to wait! Plenty of reason to give thanks a day early and every day!
Question: What are you thankful for? Share it here.[Are you getting Doug’s daily blog in your email inbox?] If not, it’s real easy–go here.